Eligibility and Award Criteria
- Applicants must be registered as full-time graduate students in the Faculty of Health at the time of their application AND at the time of their conference presentation.
- Applicants must be presenting a paper or poster as first author.
- Applicants may receive a maximum of $1,000 per fiscal year (May 1 – April 30). This maximum can be made up of multiple smaller awards if appropriate.
- Applicants who have received another student travel award from the Faculty of Health (e.g. Meighen Wright scholars, Kinesiology travel award) in the same fiscal year (May 1- April 30) are not eligible to apply.
- Applicants cannot apply for funding for travel expenses that will be covered through any other sources. Applicants may apply to this competition for some travel expenses and have different travel expenses covered through other sources. For example, an applicant may have their conference fees and accommodation funded through this competition, and their transportation costs funded elsewhere.
- Applicants who will be remunerated for presenting their research are not eligible to apply.
- Conference travel funds will not be awarded retroactively. Only travel beginning on or after the competition deadline date is eligible.
Please note that while students may apply in consecutive years, applications received in consecutive years will be given lower priority.
One hard copy of the complete application and all supporting documentation must be submitted to the Faculty of Health Research Support Office. A complete application consists of:
- A signed application form with conference and budget details (form below).
- A signed attestation by the applicant’s supervisor (part of the form below).
- Proof that the paper/poster has been accepted. Proof of submission will be accepted for application purposes if the outcome is not yet known, but proof of acceptance will be required before the funds will be released.
- Supporting documentation to substantiate the conference travel expenses, including conference program/ fee schedule and proof of submission/acceptance, accommodation, printing costs, and return transportation by the most economical means. Supporting documentation must be included for anticipated expenses marked with an asterisk (*) on the application form. Please note that supporting documentation for local travel, parking, meals not covered by the conference and other miscellaneous costs is not required but useful to include if available.
We encourage you to look at our example application to see what a complete application looks like, and help answer any questions you may have.
Incomplete applications and late applications will not be considered.
Applications will be considered twice a year on May 22 and November 22. Kindly note that if the deadline falls on a Saturday, Sunday, or statutory holiday, applications will be accepted on the next working day. Please submit the application form and all supporting documentation to the Faculty of Health Research Support Office, 428 HNES (Health, Nursing and Environmental Studies building).
Thirty (30) awards will be made each year. Graduate student conference travel funds will receive an administrative review by the Faculty of Health Research Support Office. Recipients of this award will be selected at random from amongst those applicants who are deemed to meet the eligibility criteria through the administrative review. All applicants will receive an email notification of the outcome of their application. Awarded funds will be posted to the student account of each successful applicant. Applicants must keep all related receipts and correspondence for six months following the conference, and may be asked to produce receipts for audit purposes.
For more information, please contact the Administrative Secretary in the Research Support Office at extension 21006 or by email at email@example.com.